Home » Headline, Moms, Notes From Motherhood

Bring A Friend: The Best Mom Advice I’ve Ever Received

30 September 2010 24 Comments

What would you do without your best friend, mom, mother-in-law, grandmother, aunt, or sister…you know, that special person who gives you advice when you need a few words of wisdom. We all have someone like this!

We’d like to honor these people in a special Bring A Friend contest! In the comments below, answer the following question:

What is the best piece of mom-related advice you’ve ever received?

Share this post with your friends, especially those friends who have given you awesome advice over the years. Click “Share on Facebook” below or send them this link in an email. One person and the friend who brought them will each win 2 bottles or 2 cups of their choice! Training Cups, Drinking Cups, Twist N’Pop Straw Cups or two bottles…it’s up to you!

If the winning team of buddies are both fans on Facebook, your prize is doubled: 4 cups or four bottles!

Good luck! If someone told you about this contest, don’t forget to share their name in the post so that you they can get credit!

The Winner is…

Susan Meyer! The person who sent her, Joyce Purcell, also wins!

The best advice that I have received is to teach your children to laugh. Be silly and to have fun. Also not everything you do has to cost alot. Take advantage of the free things that are available in your community. I took my children to the library for their free programs. We went to sample day at the grocery store for lunch. Now they are parents and are doing these things with their children.
Joyce Purcell shared this site with me.

• Andrea Kruse said:

The best advice I ever received was to trust my instincts as a Mom. Since a new mom gets all sorts of conflicting information it can be hard to know what to do. My Mother-In-Law said that only I knew what was right for my child, just trust myself.

• Katie said:

The best mom advice that I have received from my mother is to swaddle my baby! I had soooo many sleepless night and until my mother told me to try swaddling and showed me how to do a good wrap! After I started wrapping my baby he slept really good!

• Megan said:

The best advice that i got, well ita all perspective i was told. As a mom we all get tired and frusterated and when baby wakes up at 2 AM none of us are that excited, but if you stop dwelling on the fact that your tired and remember that even though its 2AM and your changing a poopy diaper, well that is 10 more wonderful minutes that you just you got to spend with you wonderful baby, as well as the joy of watching them fall asleep. So perspective is all we need moms! you change that and motherhood is a whole lot more enjoyable!

• Kim said:

The best advice I received was to fill the nipples of a few pacifiers with water, freeze them and use them for teething pain. My daughter hated having to hold a cold teething toy for relief. Frozen pacifiers are a life saver!

• Ashley P said:

The best piece of advice I received in regards to motherhood was from every mother I have met…enjoy every moment because it goes by so quickly.

• Kristy Smith said:

Best mom advice ever….to remember to slow down and live in the moment with my kids. Read that book you have read to them 100 times yet AGAIN…it will be the story mom always read to them that they remember for the rest of their lives!

• patricia said:

best motherly advice…1)family is the most impt thing in life, everything else doesnt compare 2) sleep when your baby sleeps

• Brittany Donnelly said:

The best advice. When you feel like you just want to give up, remember that your child needs you and you are all they have. I have to say that alot, especially when my daughter is screaming and beating me up because she doesn’t want to sleep. lol Oh, and sleep when they sleep.

• stacie said:

This is my best advice
    “Never be too proud to ask for help when you need it.”

I shared on facebook.

• Harmony said:

Wow, these are all good advice comments so far! The advice that I heard alot as a first time mom is to sleep train the baby in the crib asap, not to wait! Which I of course didn’t listen and he mainly slept on me or in the swing! Finally at 7 months we concored the crib, one happy baby sleeping all night= one very happy mommy! Now pregnant with baby #2 I will most def. listen this time!

• Joyce Purcell said:

The best piece of advice I ever got was from the NICU nurse when my son was born. She said to not listen to anyone’s advice and just do what is right for us.

• Rachel said:

The best advice I have been given is to not worry what others think of my decisions. I know what is best for my daughter, whether it is a trend, or an old-fashioned way of thinking. It doesn’t matter if everyone else understands why and how you do things. It just matters that you are

Enjoy your baby and don’t get caught up on whether or not you have approval of everyone you encounter!

• Susan Myers said:

The best advice that I have received is to teach your children to laugh. Be silly and to have fun. Also not everything you do has to cost alot. Take advantage of the free things that are avaiable in your community. I took my children to the library for their free programs. We went to sample day at the grocery store for lunch. Now they are parents and are doing these things with their children.
    Joyce Purcell shared this site with me.

• Elizabeth M said:

The best advice I have gotten is from a friend, Cambron. Both of our kids are months apart and it’s great to have someone else going through the same thing. We talk almost daily and share stories and ideas. I don’t know what I’d do without having her to vent to and laugh with! I think every Mom needs someone like this!!

• Christine McKenzie said:

The best advice I received was from my mother in law. Her advice was to take everyone’s advice with a grain of salt! Everyone is so kind to offer advice, especially with the first baby, and it can be so tiring trying to do everyone’s suggestions. What work’s for one mommy/baby doesn’t necessarily work for another mommy/baby.

• brittany b said:

the best advice i have ever been given from my mother is to listen to the advice of others but use instincts that us mothers recieve during pregnancy. sometimes others give us advice that we need and other times we dont but its always good to listen because it teaches you things. things change throughout the years so when older people give me advice it may not be useful but there thought are appreciated and its great to have people and family who care enough to give you ideas. all of you soon to be moms the advice i have is to enjoy your bundles of joy! they grow so fast! when i look back i miss the sleepless moments when waking up for feedings every three hours in the night.

• Beth D said:

The best advice I received was to enjoy the sleepless nights and not wish them away since they are over to soon. It didn’t make sense to me at the time but it does now because babies grow up so fast andsleepless nights are just a blip in time but the time you spent cuddling the baby are emories that last forever.

• Sarah said:

The best advice I received was to trust your God given motherly instinct. You are your child’s Mom, you know what works best for your child.

• Katy G. said:

The best advice I have received was 1)Sleep when you baby is sleeping, I wish I did that more…LOL 2)It’s o.k. to ask for help from family & friends 3)You need time to yourself with baby sometimes just to relax or go out for a nice evening

• Brandy said:

The best advice I ever got was one day when I had a new baby and it seemed like everything way falling down around me… Some told me “Brandy your a great mother”

• kristen said:

The best advice I got is of coarse from my mom and that is just to be myself and follow your gut instinct and follow your heart!!

• kristen said:

The best advice i have ever got is from my mom of coarse and that is to follow your gut and follow your heart and just be you cause in the end thats all you need!!

• Jill said:

The best advice I ever received was to trust my gut. A mother’s gut is usually right.

• Kate Petro said:

Best advice I ever got was not only was it my first time, my baby didn’t know any different either! So while I was trying to figure out which bottles to buy (back before bornfree, 5 years ago), which formula to buy, and lots of breastfeeding issues I just sat back and soaked it all in…knowing that Grant (my new son) had never done this before either…and we made it! :)

btw, wish I had bornfree back then! they sure were awesome with my 3rd baby!! :)