Home » Headline, Notes From Motherhood

Trimming The Fat

23 June 2010 19 Comments

Losing baby weight sucks. If there was a word stronger than “sucks” I’d be using it instead. I gained about 37 pounds when I was pregnant with my first son and I looked it. I found a picture of myself the other day from those last few weeks and it literally looks like someone stuck an air pump in me and blew me into a human-shaped beach ball. But I didn’t care and I didn’t worry about losing the weight. I’ve always been an avid exerciser and a fairly healthy eater so I really didn’t give it much thought.

Then came the phenomenon after my son was born called breastfeeding hunger. I’d experienced some cravings and hunger pangs during pregnancy but I was not prepared for this. If I could have had an IV drip of sugar and carbs entering my system 24 hours a day I still doubt that would have satiated me. So unlike what I had read and heard, breastfeeding did not magically melt away the extra pounds. In fact, with all the extra eating I was doing, I really didn’t lose much of the weight at all. I stopped breastfeeding my son at the six month mark because we wanted to try for another baby right away. Two months later, I had a bun in the oven again. Only this time. I was weighing in at a hefty 25 pounds heavier than before the first kid. I have no clue why I only gained about 22 pounds this time around but since I was already fatter, I’m not sure how much more weight I could have added to my frame. I’m only 5”2 and was a size 4 before kids.

So the second love of my life arrived and again, six months of breastfeeding didn’t do squat as far as weight loss. Because I had back-to-back pregnancies and two C-sections, I actually still looked pregnant. It was around eight months after my second son was born when someone asked me at an event when I was due that was a turning point for me. I had enough of being fat. Yes the miracle of having children far outweighs the havoc it can wreak on your body. Yes I felt blessed and lucky to have two healthy happy kids. Yes I’d been working out for the past few months and eating salads for lunch but it clearly wasn’t working for me. I fought back tears the rest of the night and decided Ithat I didn’t want to feel bad about my body anymore. Shallow? Maybe, but I like to think that the better I feel about myself, the better I live my life which includes being a parent, a wife and a friend. So I cut out carbs, sugar and wine, started doing yoga in addition to the exercise I was already doing and was basically hungry, tired and irritable. But about a week into it, I noticed my jeans getting looser and I had more energy.

Now it’s two months later and I’ve lost 20 pounds, I’m hooked on yoga and I eat completely differently and better than I used to. I actually crave fruit instead of thinking of it as a dietary punishment. I still have a ways to go before I reach my goal and I hate that I think about it all the time but I hate not doing anything about it more.

Contest! Leave a comment with how you tackled the delicate issue of post-pregnancy weight.  Someone will win a Twist N’Pop Straw Cup! Click “Like” or “Share on Facebook” if you’d like to share this post with your friends!

Update: The winner is Cathy with the email address: m********@gmail.com. Thanks for entering!

View prize here: http://www.newbornfree.com/BPA-Free-Cups/Drinking-Cups-142544/6291893-Twist-N-Pop-Straw-Cup/ProductInfo.aspx

Robin Saks Frankel is the founder of Crib Notes (www.cribnotesbaby.com), a free monthly e-newsletter for parents of kids ages zero to three. She’s also a writer, a mother of two boys (1 toddler and 1 infant) and somehow still finds the time to watch Gossip Girl and Family Guy. When she’s not watching trashy TV, she can usually be found attached to her iPhone Facebooking, Tweeting or playing Words With Friends. Robin, her husband, kids and two dogs somehow manage to coexist peacefully in Manhattan. Robin received her M.S. in Business and Economics Journalism from Boston University but still can’t tell you what credit derivatives are. Follower her on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/cribnotes

• Adrienne Dollyhigh said:

Exercise and a good meal plan. It sounds simple, but it’s true!

• Nichole said:

Yes, exercise and eating well are the key. Working hard on the eating good thing! It is tough when working and hubby is not a veggie and fruit kind of guy. Working on planning my meals and snacks more effectively!

• Erin said:

I really struggled with the baby weight after my first son was born. Finally I joined weight watchers and started exercising. It wasn’t easy, but now I’m very glad that I did it. I don’t have the body I had when I was 21 and I think my bikini days are over, but I feel more comfortable in my every day clothes. It was definitely worth giving up some of those sweets to feel better about myself !

• Sara R. Harris said:

Drink a large glass of water before you eat a meal…and a large glass of water after your meal…exercise as much as you can…and most importantly – portion control those meals ladies! xoxo

• Larissa said:

I had all four of my kids back to back and the best thing that worked for me was breastfeeding and constantly running around after the kids:) Walking and portion control has also really helped me too! That and going up and down the stairs for what feels like a thousand times a day!!!:) LOL

• kristen said:

Well I lost it pretty quick but have stayed at the exact same weight as when I found out that I was pregnant. So I can’t seem to get any further but I know eating right and lots of exercise makes all the difference in the world!!

• kristen said:

I shared on facebook!!!

• Stefanie Jordheim said:

Still working on it! :) i second the breastfeeding hunger thing…wasn’t prepared for that.
    it has helped me to drink lots of water, exercise, and make sure i get 80-100g of protein a day
    good luck all!

• Jen said:

I’m still working on it, but I have found that running around after two kids is quite the workout! Of course, it helps to watch portions and limit the sweets (that’s the hardest part for me). Hopefully I get to my goal weight soon!

• Cerissa Freitas said:

Im going through the same thing right now. I just started back on a diet after having my baby and thinking about doing a baby & me yoga class. It is nice to be able to take my baby with me to exercise. I plan to eventually take the jogging stroller out and take my dog for a walk too…

Its hard to schedule in a work out when baby is not sleeping throught the night. This is my summer goal for baby to sleep through the night and to eat healthier :o )

• Cerissa said:

Low carb seemed to wok the best for me in the past. Getting motivated to go back on it with a family can be a little more challenging.

• Katy said:

I’m still having trouble with my post-pregnancy weight. My daughter is almost 5 months old and I still have a lot to lose. I’m planning on joining a Zumba class. They look like fun!!

• Katy said:

I shared on Facebook! :)

• Kathy said:

Love your description of the breastfeeding hunger. SO very true. I’m still working on losing my baby weight but started running a couple months ago by doing the Couch to 5k running plan.
    :-)

• Kathy said:

I, too, had 2 children via C-Section and carried around an extra 20 lbs after that. breastfeeding only helped me feel a false sense of what I could get away with eating without gaining weight. Then I stopped breastfeeding and started gaining more weight.

I lost 50 lbs on Weight Watchers before so I joined up again, got back in the gym and finally got back into me pre-baby jeans. I wish there was a better short cut but eating right and exercise seems to be the only way back. *sigh* :)

I have always eaten well but that alone didn’t help when I had my boys back to back, 16 months apart… My hubby actually got me a Wii Fit because we couldn’t afford a monthly gym membership and it was amazing! I lost 10 pounds the first 2 weeks of working out every day! :)

I liked this post on Facebook! :)

Still struggling to get that 10 pounds off!

i liked