Home » Featured, Moms

Multitasking Mommy Mania & BornFree Radio Episode 1

10 June 2010 30 Comments

I’m not saying President Obama isn’t efficient. But I’m fairly certain I accomplish more before 6 am than most people do all day.

Although I know the President’s morning activities have a much wider ranging impact then mine, I’d wager that I could teach him or any Fortune 500 CEO a thing or two about getting the job done.

My day starts anywhere between 4:45 and 5:10 am. Yes that’s right, I said between 4:45 and 5:10 am. But that’s a whole other story. By 6 am, I’ve cleaned, diapered, dressed, brushed the teeth of my toddler and started him on breakfast. I’ve also cleaned, diapered, fed and dressed the baby, made lunch for the toddler, watched endless episodes of Sesame Street/The Wiggles/Blue’s Clues, cleaned up seemingly several thousand piles of toys/trucks/books/Legos and packed two diaper bags and strollers for a full day out and about in the city.

By 7 am, I’ve made coffee for the husband, drank several cups of green tea, cleaned the kitchen, started the laundry, emptied the dishwasher, put away the clean baby bottles and depending on the day walked and fed our two dogs. My itinerary is busier in those few early hours then it used to be in an entire weekend.

Sometimes between the time I get up and the time I go to bed I’m literally so busy my head is spinning. Doing two things at once is for the weak, as a Mom I literally feel like I spend every minute multi-tasking. Even as I write this I’m eating dinner, checking email and playing Scrabble online (although I’m losing.) I’m curious to know if there is such a thing as a mom who does one thing at a time, focusing just on the moment. Is that even possible?

BornFree Mom Radio is here!

Listen to Robin & Bunmi, BornFree Moms, talk about being multitasking moms, the Real Housewives of New York City, and why moms need to take time for themselves. Click on the green play button below.

Contest! Share something you’ve done before 9am in the comments. One person will be picked to win a special BornFree Prize Pack! Click “Like” or “Share on Facebook” and leave a bonus comment to increase your chances of winning!

***The winner is Charice with the email address cha*********@yahoo.com

Robin Saks Frankel is the founder of Crib Notes (www.cribnotesbaby.com), a free monthly e-newsletter for parents of kids ages zero to three. She’s also a writer, a mother of two boys (1 toddler and 1 infant) and somehow still finds the time to watch Gossip Girl and Family Guy. When she’s not watching trashy TV, she can usually be found attached to her iPhone Facebooking, Tweeting or playing Words With Friends. Robin, her husband, kids and two dogs somehow manage to coexist peacefully in Manhattan. Robin received her M.S. in Business and Economics Journalism from Boston University but still can’t tell you what credit derivatives are. Follower her on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/cribnotes

• Brittany said:

Hah! I’m glad I’m not the only one! I’m a single mom though. I can’t eat without feeding my 8 month old because she will cry, I can’t put her in her play pen so I can take a shower, because she will cry. She HAS to sleep ON me or in my arms, because then she will wake up immediately from her nap. She’s a great baby if she’s by me 24/7, she never cries, and it almost perfect, but I can’t EVER do anything for myself.

• Jen said:

The other morning started earlier than normal and I hadn’t been paying attention to the clock. I soon realized that by 8:30 I had already washed and dried a load of diapers, pack snacks for pre-k and started dinner in the crockpot. :)

• Jen said:

I liked and shared (with my husband…lol).

I have gotten up, Fed Ethan, thrown in laundry, ran and showered. That is my morning off usually all before 8!!

i liked

• Jessica E said:

My day starts about 6am with feeding the baby then i wake up my 7 year old and get his breakfast and then its time to dress the baby and get my sons school clothes out all while throwing in laundry and cleaning up the morning dishes. A mothers work is never done!

• Jessica E said:

I shared

• Katy said:

I have a 4 month old daughter and many times it’s as if my day has never ended and the sun is already coming up! Having a newborn that doesn’t sleep well at night if at all and has colic takes a lot out of a person. I’ve done a little of everything including feeding, changing diapers, rocking, and trying a whole bunch of different things to get my daughter to fall asleep and stay asleep before 9am in the morning. Multitasking is definitely a mommy skill.It’s like my mind is hardwired to be thinking about what I need to do next. I love every minute of motherhood and wouldn’t give it up for nothing!!!

• Katy said:

I liked!

• Katy said:

I also shared on Facebook :)

• Yosellice Austin said:

I do agree with this blog. I also wake up at 5am and I have to prepare 2 baby bags. Prepare lunch for myself, husband and my five year old. get three children ready and take all of them to school or babysitter.

• Yosellice Austin said:

I shared on facebook

• K. O'Connell said:

I pump TWICE and prepare four BornFree bottles before 9 am!

• K. O'Connell said:

I liked!

• Stefanie Jordheim said:

Yup the multitaskers are not alone…before 9, i feed the baby, help the toddler go potty and get dressed, get him his morning protein shake, put the baby down for a nap, get a load of laundry folded and more in the wash, make up the diapers for the day, and make breakfast all the while dodging trucks and cars zooming across the kitchen floor :)

• brittany b. said:

Motherhood is a wonderful thing!! i believe every mother has had to experience multitasking! I have an 8 month old little girl and shes at the age where she is curious about everything so i have to try and keep up the house while making sure she doesnt hurt herself and shes safe. I love this age the most so far because shes learning to explore things and what she can do and whats not aloud. shes a great baby and i wouldnt change motherhood for anything! My husband and i are hoping for more children in the near future!

• Amanda Martinez said:

I liked

• Amanda Martinez said:

I shared on facebook

• Amanda Martinez said:

Ah let’s see, beofore 9? I’m up by 5, showered and fed myself. Hubby gets up by 7:30 i’ve got him fed and his lunch packed by 8. Baby gets fed, diapered, dressed, and played with by 8:30. And inbetween if bottles need to be poured (she’s on premixed liquid) they get done, bottles are washed and put away, dog is fed, floor is vacuumed, and things are picked up and tidied. Never am I doing one thing at once. Right now I am doing homework, posting, and playing with baby all at the same time. Welcome to motherhood I suppose lol

• Jessica Allen said:

Man! I would have SUCH a hard time getting up that early! I think it’s early when my boys get up before 7! :) I have 2 boys under 2, so I can relate to the crazy life!
    The other day, we had a bad night and both boys ended up waking up at 630 (WAY early for me!) Ha! So that day, by 9, I had already done a load of diapers, hung them on the clothesline, fed breakfast, pack my hubby’s lunch, washed dishes and started dinner in the slow cooker! Man, I sure felt productive that day! But days like that are very rare! :)

• Larissa said:

I have 4 children under 3 and an 8 year old stepson….need I say more? :) My 1 year old daughter and my 4 month old twins get up every single day at 5:30 am like clock work! I have never been a morning person so every day for me starts with me stumbling aroud changing diapers and making bottles. By 7 my 2 year old is awake, and by 9 am I have changed what seems like hundreds of diapers, made 2 bottles per baby, made breakfast, cleaned the kitchen, unloaded the dishwasher, gotten everyone dressed, made everyones bed, started the laundry, folded clothes, taken a shower, sent emails, dispatched numerous jobs for my husband and his employees (we run a garage door business), and many other thousands of tasks that seem to creap up every morning! ;) Every day is different as far as tasks, but the same as far as crazyness. I love it and wouldn’t change a thing!!

• Larissa said:

I “liked” this blog! :)

• Larissa said:

I “shared” this! :)

• Charice Adams said:

Sometimes I feel like a single mom, but because I get that assistance once in a while from my hubby (he is in the army and always gone), I tend to stress out more than I should. Today for instance, I had to call in a work order about some nasty bug that has decided to take residence in my home, and my 3 year old was what I thought to be peacefully watching tv in the other room. Within 2 seconds of getting on the phone with my housing office, he is screaming that he wants this done and that done. Then, I sent him to his room, but somewhere on the trip up, he decided to go into my room. I still had my overnight bag out with travel shampoos and conditioners in it, so he thinks he needs a little moisturizing and covers his body with conditioner (thought it was lotion). He tries to hide the evidence and goes to his room to roll around on his sheets to wipe off the mess. I do not hear him for a while, so I go up looking for him and smell the aroma of flowers and panic. I find the source of the smell and next to it is a bottle of Veet. I check the bottle and realize that luckily he covered himself in Pantene, not the Veet, but then have to start the task of cleaning up. Bathtime for one, laundry started, and now I have conditioner spots on doors and walls to spot clean. Sigh, and I have only been up 2 hrs.

• Charice Adams said:

I “liked” this

• Amanda Cruz said:

I get up to pee 3 times in the middle of the night (9 months pregnant with baby #4!) then I can’t sleep because I’m so uncomfortable! I get up around 7:30 am to my 3 beautiful (and very loud)kids wanting their breakfast and activities for the day. Once I have everybody fed (and my pregnant self fed!) and dressed…I do some cleaning, then waddle around the house and try to play with them! By now…it’s 9am. :-) But I really wouldn’t have it any other way! Love my family!

• Amanda Cruz said:

I liked!

• Amanda Cruz said:

I shared on facebook!

• Heather said:

I get up at 7am everyday. By 9 I have myself dressed along with 3 kids. I put up the dishes out out the dishwasher. I started a load of cloths in the washing machine. The kids are fed. I gather up all of my cloth diapers (I have 2 kids in diapers.) I also have had time to check my email and facebook.

• Heather said: