Home » Moms

Baby Steps, Moms Steps: And Then There Were Teeth

6 April 2010 61 Comments

My son is almost 2 years old. And he’s STILL teething. I feel bad for the little guy, but seriously…enough is enough!

He started teething around 3 months old. Or at least that’s what we thought it was. All of the drooling, the crying, etc. My mom told me I cut my first tooth when I was just 5 months old, so it wasn’t entirely unreasonable to think that he could as well. So, for the next 6 months, we waited. And waited. And waited some more until his first tooth finally made an appearance. He was 9 months old.

At least at that age, he was able to put things into his mouth to help his gums feel better. He especially liked the cold teethers, but not the frozen ones. Well that’s just fine and dandy for 5 minutes, but they do NOT keep their coldness for long at all.

In order to help him feel better, I tried almost everything on the market. I didn’t want to use any numbing gels since I had heard that there could be some complications, such as swallowing the gel. So, I went the natural way. I bought every type of natural teething aid there was: gels, tablets, powders. I had friends swear by some of these products, so when they didn’t work for us, I was happy to give them our leftovers.

I got to the point where I was seriously considering alcohol…and not just for him! Seriously though, all those stories about how a fingertip of whiskey on the gums…. Btu alas, I would not give in. Both of us stayed quite sober. And he continued to be in pain.

At night, I sometimes gave him ibuprofen to help ease the pain long enough for him to get to sleep. Eventually, when he was a little older, I gave in and used the numbing gels. I found that the prefilled swabs were the safest and it would be hard to give him too much. We were both temporarily relieved.

Now, at almost 2 years old, he is much more aware of pain, and he’s much better at complaining about it. He was a champ when his 1 year molars came in (I almost didn’t even notice), but there are a few more regular teeth that are coming in right now and he’s having some serious pain with them. He should be a pro at this already!

I know he’s also got his 2 year molars which will follow shortly. I just can’t wait for this to end. I feel bad for him, and I feel bad that I can’t do anything else to help him. So, for all you moms out there with teething children, I feel your pain. And remember: one day, this too shall pass. I think.

Lauren is a mom, wife, BornFree Ambassador, and former architect living in New York. She describes herself as being quite a bit like Phoebe from “Friends” with a little Monica thrown in. Her blog “Baby Steps. Mom Steps” is a regular column on BornFreeMom.com

Win! Comment on Lauren’s blog and you’ll be entered to win a Twin Pack of BornFree Clear pacifiers and a Teether Gum Brush! A winner will be picked on April 8, 2010.

my boy is 5.5 months and he does not have any teeth yet. I think he is teething though as he puts everything, including his feet in his mouth and drools buckets. I cut my first tooth at 6 months so we will see.

• Tonya said:

I’m a mom of 5, My youngest 2 aren’t quite a year apart, so my 1 yr old is teething, I also have a 2 yr old, and a newborn. it seems like I’ve had children teething for the past 6yrs, my older two are 6 and 5. Cold washrags were wonderful for them to chew on, but Those don’t help when your out somewhere. I love my kids and will be sooo glad when we are through the teething stage. I hate not being able to help them.

• Jill V said:

My little girl is 13 months and only has two teeth. I never seem to know when my little ones are teething until after the tooth appears. I thought for months and months she was getting a tooth but nothing appeared until she was 11 months old.

• Michelle said:

My son showed the signs of teething at 3 months as well, but he’s nearly 7 months now and no signs of teeth. I have a feeling it will be awhile :(

• Regina H. said:

Sophia is almost 15 months old & has 9 teeth. She is working on her 1 year molars & seems to be fairly miserable at night! We just tried to take her paci’s away…it didn’t go well.

• Sarah Bass said:

My two year old and 4 month old are both teething! Their kisses have never been so sloppy. It seems like everyone in the house is drooling.

• Nicole N said:

Teething is so tough! My little girl is nearly 5 months old and we think she’s teething – the drool, the crying and the whining! Plus everything she can grab goes straight into her mouth! We never have enough rings, washclothes, pacis or other safe teethers to give her… poor thing has even grabbed my hand to gnaw on. We’re very much looking forward to this stage being over.

• Renee' said:

My son didn’t start teething til 5-months, we consulted with our doctor. He suggested alternating tylenol and motrin throughout the night, because that was the worst time. We also found that the swabs worked the best and later on when he got older we used Humphrey’s tablets. I’m so glad his teeth came in two at a time, less pain for the both of us.

• Elizabeth Smith said:

All three of mine have cut their first teeth around ten months. The Hyland’s teething tablets have worked wonders for us along with cold washclothes, just be sure to have lots of washclothes, because like the article says, they don’t stay cold for long!

• sbo68 said:

My 16 mo. old has been teething consistently since he was about 4 or 5 months old! Not only did he get his first teeth early, but he got all 4 top teeth at the same time. About a month went by when the bottom 4 started to come in. Amazingly enough, he started cutting his molars after all the top and bottom teeth were in! And, yep, you guesssed it….ALL 4 molars at the same time! Now he’s working on his canines and they seem to be bothering him the most. I know I’ll look back some day and think, “Wow, that wasn’t so bad!”. But right now, I’m hanging on for dear life….it’s nice to know that I’m not the only one going down this hard, long road.

• Lee Watkins said:

my 18 month old is cuting her 13th and 14th teeth “her eye teeth” she has already cut her back molars a couple months ago and i think these eye teeth are the worse yet for her, she has never been fussy with her teeth until these. And and dun dun dun my 4 month olds bottom two teeth are starting to cut thru, ekkkkkkk, two teething babies equals no fun for me bless there little hearts

• Karen B said:

We have 2 teeth already at 6 months!! I feel your pain!!!

• Kim said:

No teeth yet but my almost 4 month old is drooling like crazy and his hands and fingers are constantly in his mouth. Checking every day and anticipating what I’ve already been through with my 3 1/2 year old. It isn’t fun because you just get them sleeping thru the night and then the teething begins. Ugh! What’s a mom to do?!

• Beth said:

My son is 13 months old and has NO teeth! We don’t even think he’s teething. How late is too late, and when should we talk to our pedi about him not having teeth??

I’m a worrier when it comes to my baby boy!

• Lanette said:

Thanks for sharing, I’m glad to see other Moms have mostly made it through without using the gels. I’m trying to stay away from them also and our daycare provider looked at me like I was crazy. My 4 month old also started teething about a month ago, but nothing is coming through yet. I’m afraid we may be in the same boat as you and the teeth will not come in for quite some time :(

• zsofi said:

My little one is 14 weeks old and it just seems way too early to be teething and dealing with pain! But here we are! He is stuffing his hands in his mouth and sticking out his tongue to rub his lower gum. I have to admit, it is adorable! He likes it when I put a cold teaspoon in his mouth, so that’s what I’ve been doing every evening.

• Marci said:

My daughter is turning one on the 28th, and she is still teething. I have tried everything and nothing helps her. She just chews on her fingers and that seems to help a little at least more than the products on the market.

• Lauren Senese said:

It’s good to know we’re in good (and busy!) company! For those wondering about why your baby hasn’t cut any teeth yet, I’m no expert, but I do know of a friend’s baby that didn’t cut a single tooth until he was almost 16 months old! They were talking about taking him to a pediatric dentist who would actually CUT his gums to help the teeth come through. As bad as teething is, I’m assuming that would be worse, especially since eventually…they do get teeth. If you’re concerned, definitely talk to your doctor before worrying too much. Best of luck to us all! :)

My son just turned 7 months old on sunday. He cut his 2 bottom teeth at 4 1/2 months. He is starting to cut 2 more bottom teeth. It is so sad watching them in pain. I will be so happy once he is all done teething

• cheryl sturtevant said:

thank you girls this makes me feel so much better. i have a 3 month old and she has started drooling like a faucet! and hee hands are her new best friend, always in the mouth. someone said she might be teething but i thought it was way too early :) weve started letting her use a couple smaller teethers and shell sit there and naw away at it for a while! so now i guess we just sit and wait patiently for one to makes it appearence!

• Christine F said:

I have a 18 month old still getting teeth she was a late bloomer and she is constantly miserable. Everyone says it gets better my friends daughter likes to chomp on the dogs toy versus her teething toys

• ashley said:

I was lucky, my now 2.5 year old didn’t get teeth till 17 months so her had no problem getting teeth and they didn’t bother her one bit. You can guess I was shocked to see my now 10 month old sprout 2 teeth at 6 months, he was a faucet for weeks! Everything about my two kids has been so different!

• marci said:

I shared

• Wendy said:

My daughter is 4 months old and for the last month she has been drooling like crazy and gnawing on anything she can get to her mouth. I don’t feel anything on her gums but everyone tells me she is about to start teething. The BornFree teether really is a great thing!

• Lauren said:

My 6 mo old has been ‘teething’ since 3 1/2 months…I was hoping that she wouldn’t have any problems teething, but it’s only been about 3 months and I’m tried of teeth =P she got tooth buds around 4 montsh, and now at 6 mos the edges of the two front o nes are RIGHT there! All my mommy friends told me to use this or that and the tooth would break through over night…no luck, I’m still waiting. And I’m still nursing too so once we’re done with sleepless fussy nights, fevers and cranky babies, I have to deal with biting…

• Lauren said:

Shared!

• Ashley said:

I have a two month old who is slobbery and starting to chew on his hands. Could this be the beginning? It seems too soon..

• Glenda said:

My daughter was 3 months old when she started teething and got her first tooth at 4 1/2 months. She has been okay for the most part but sometimes screams when they come through

• Laura said:

My 4 month old daughter is just starting to teeth we think…lots of drool…and constantly biting on things, mostly her fingers (and mine). Not too distressed yet, but I am sure it will come. Thanks for the article.

• summer said:

I have a 3 month old who just started teething. I tried the frozen teethers but he hates holding them there so cold. And I agree with him…lol. So I was telling a friend who is also a mother and she said she used a home remedy that has worked great the last few day. You put green onions in the freezer for a few min just so there super cold not yet frozed and let them chew on it like a stick since its his first teeth i havent had a problem with him biting pieces to worry about choking yet. but its cold easy to fit in his mouth and the nutrients in it gives vitamins and such straight to the gums and soothes the pain. He went from non stop screaming to the happiest baby as long as he gets a few green onions to chew on a day and once he chews for like 20 min hes usually good for a few hours. Must be something in them that works as a natural numbing cream or something. Not really sure but sure is a life saver for me. (although his breathe is pretty bad after one of them but small price for the outcome..when hes happy im happy.)

• Amanda said:

I am confused about teething; like Lauren, my baby girl started what I thought was teething at 2 months old. We even found a white bulging spot on her lower left gums. I immediately called my dentist and rushed her in, knowing that she was a wonder baby with her first tooth at 10 weeks! Alas, it wasn’t a tooth, but what the dentist called a “karotyne pearl”, which he advised would either go away or eventually turn into something resembling a tooth that would need removing. No dental wonder baby here…just a preview of high dental bills to come! She is now seven months, and it has since subsided, but her drooling, biting, and occasional fussiness strictly at bedtime hasn’t. It is hard to tell if she is still “teething” or just being a sweet, strong-willed, yet tempermental girl! Nevertheless, she is still my “wonder-girl” and we have found that the best remedy for her gum issues is a cold washcloth…or better yet, Mommy’s clean finger. She rejects the plastic teethers at this time; not unusual considering she doesn’t like a pacifier and it took us months to find a bottle she would take after weening.

• Rachel said:

My now 4 month old has been chewing on her hands and drewling for wich seems like forever! She seems to have a couple lumps that may have teeth poking through soon. My other 3 kids [ two 4 yr olds and a 1 yr old ] Teethed early. So I think we will see a tooth or teeth soon! At least she is Super Happy still. Thanks for Sharing your Story!

• Sheila said:

My daughter is 3 months and I am not looking forward to the teething stage! Our oldest daughter got her first tooth at 6 months, so my time is coming!

• Michelle Bunn said:

We thought our little one was at three months too. Still no teeth. He sure plays with his gums and slobbers tons though!

• Larissa said:

I have four kids under three! My two year old son was a champ through his teething adventure. He rarely cried and loved the cold washcloth on his gums. His eye teeth were the worst and would only sleep at night if I held him…ALL NIGHT! The teething rings are being put to good use now as bracelets that he wears to mimick me:) Looking forward to the teething adventures with my three girls. My sixteen month old daughter has some special needs so we’ll see what goes on with her, then I have two month old twins. Best of luck to everyone and their lil sweeties!:)

• Yesica Bravo said:

I have a 3 month old and just waiting for the teething to come. Not a fun time at all!

• Taylor P said:

I have a 5 month old and we are trying it all.

• Ashley P said:

My baby is teething…I think. I am trying to do only natural remedies as long as possible.

• April said:

My son is 7.5 months, last month he had a horiable rash on his chin from teething. He still has no teeth and the rash comes and goes. Im having a very hard to keep his chin dry and rash free. Hope he gets a tooth soon!

• Brittany McCartney said:

My daughter has been cutting teeth since she was 3 months. She finally has her first two teeth at the age of 10.5 months, yeah! She was really fussy and cranky so I would give her tylenol and I also wanted to do the all natural with no teething gels. I used teething drops, which helped alot. I just hope the rest of her teeth come in easy then her front bottom two did or it is going to be rough until all her teeth come in.

• Harmony said:

Aedan (9months) just has 2 teeth on the bottom, nothing on top yet..just gotta take it day by day and have a selection of great born free teethers!!

• Melissa H said:

I have an almost 2 year old and almost 5 month old. Both are teething!! I seriously felt every tooth my daughter was working on!!! I am just hoping my little boy does better!!!!

• Ashley Owen said:

My sweet Elijah is 5 months old and drooling like an old man at Hooters. He loves chewing on ice and the nipples of BORNFREE bottles. He no longer nurses but he only drinks pumped breast milk and believe it or not-ONLY out of BORNFREE bottles. Only the best for my sweet boy!!!

• liz said:

My daughter, now 2 started getting her first tooth on the day she turned 6 months. We breast fed, but when we couldn’t we used born free bottles! I felt so much safer and more confident with a glass bottle.

• Leslie S said:

My twin 8 mo olds are starting to teethe. They chew on anything and everything, if we’re not careful! They’re favorite “chewie” is a cold or almost frozen washcloth. My 2 yr old prefers the razbaby razberry teethers. Whatever makes them happy!

• shawnna said:

B is currently working on one of his eye teeth. That tooth is being quite stubborn!!!

• Carrie said:

My daughter is 4 months old and has shown signs of teething for a month and a half, so far no signs of a tooth.

• Kristy said:

I have a 6.5 month old who has shown teething signs since he was about 2.5 months. The past week he has been miserable and I think I can see tooth buds, but nothing yet. Tylenol and Motrin work the best for us.

• Trent P said:

Teething is so heartbreaking. I just want to help sooth the pain.

• dawn said:

my son started to teeth at 2 months old and is still tetheing at 4 mounds old have to keep changeing him cause he drools so much i fell bad for he live to chew on my born free tether and my fingers

• Laura Fosselman said:

My son is 5 1/2 months and we think that he is teething too. I don’t think I see tooth buds at the bottom, but it seems like I see them on the top- is that possible? I’m going to try the green onions that the one lady suggested!

• Traci Bryant said:

Mine is teething now, he’s 10 months old.

• ashley said:

Mine isn’t teething yet, but pretty quick here I would guess. 6mo. old.. I am going to need all the advice and tools I can get :) oh the joys of parenthood :)

• Amanda said:

My little one just turned 4 months on April 4th. She got her first tooth in about 2 weeks before 4 months and her second one broke through yesterday. Now her top gums are so swollen and I am not looking forward to them coming in because she is such a bear already. She doesn’t like the teething rings, so we give her baby Motrin at night so she can sleep. She will only drink cold bottle now too. I think it just feels better on her teeth and if it keeps her happy, I am not going to complain.

• Omni Hampton said:

I love this article. When I had my first child it was hard trying to ease her pain. She cried for every tooth that came in and it was pain for the both of us. The only thing that I could do was use teething rings. My second child is was a breeze only because she never made a sound for the teeth that was suppose to be bad. Now that I have a third one I am waiting to see what he would be like. If he is going to be good or bad I have trust in myself toget through this one.

• Jennifer Ramirez said:

I am a mother of three……11, 5 and 3 months. For the last two I would wet a wash cloth and keep it in the fridge to get cold. They loved to chew on these.
    We recently had a dentist appt for my five year old. While we were there the dentist filled me on some info. First being that an infant should see a dentist between 6-12 months for there first visit, This was news to me. The second being that brushing your infants gums wether or not they have teeth, will stimulate there gums making teething a little bit easier. So I bought a little bitty tooth brush and Im trying it!! Hey anything is worth trying to help this difficult time be eased.

• Joyce said:

My son is severely teething. He is a drool machine and oh so fussy! My husband asked me the other day after I got frustrated with my son, “Do you remember teething?” of course I said no. Then my husband said “Then I don’t think that he will be emotionally scarred from it.” I thought you know what that is an awesome way to think about it. I wish there was a fool proof method to ease their pain, but I haven’t found one yet.

• Joyce said:

I shared too!

• crystal said:

my daughter s 2 and cutting molars been rough

• Carrie said:

My 6 month old is teething like crazy and I have the drool and fussy baby to prove it!!

• Alma said: